Sunday, August 8, 2010

Why I'm Still Rooting For Tiger


Tiger Woods shot a 7-over par 77 today in the final round of the Bridgestone Invitational, finishing a dismal week that saw him post a career-worst +18 in the four-day event. Given his highly-publicized trangressions off the golf course, I would venture to say that a fair amount of people are not at all saddened- and perhaps even happy- to see the once dominant golfer struggle mightily on the course.

But as for me, I'm still rooting for Tiger.

Now let me make clear that I in no way condone Tiger's many marital transgressions. I don't like his club-throwing and cursing after he hits bad shots. I agree that Tiger has been a poor role model. I don't feel sorry for Tiger because he is struggling on the golf course.

Still, I'm rooting for Tiger. I'm rooting for him because, as a sports fan, I want to see golf played at the highest level possible.

Tiger Woods at his best plays golf on another level from the rest of the world. No one, not even Phil Mickelson, can do the things Tiger Woods can on a golf course. Tiger hits shots that no one else can hit. He won the 2000 U.S. Open by 15 strokes, shooting -12 when no one else could even shoot even par. He won the 2008 U.S. Open playing 90 holes with broken leg. He's the most dominant golfer of all-time.

Some people may find it humbling to see him struggle on the golf course like a mere mortal, shooting +18. Me, I just find it sad that we're being deprived of witnessing greatness.

Don't you want to see sport played at it's highest level? Don't you want to see the best in the world at their best? Don't you want to see this again? I, for one, do.

If Tiger plays well again, fans will inevitably return to loving him. It's a veritable certainty.

The "comeback" is an American sports phenomenon. We love athletes who come back from just about anything- illnesses, injuries, or personal problems. The "comeback" story is so popular that it has become overplayed. The NFL and MLB both give out trophies to the "Comeback Player of the Year" in addition to the awards for MVP and Rookie of the Year.

Furthermore, American sports fans are quick to forget a player's personal transgressions in time as long as they return to performing well in the arena. Look at the reigning World Champion Los Angeles Lakers. Kobe Bryant was once villified for his highly-publicized infidelity, but now he is probably the most popular player in the NBA. His teammate Ron Artest iniated one of the ugliest episodes in sporting history by charging into the stands and brawling with fans in Detroit. Now Ron Artest has become a loveable figure and media darling- America's favorite crazy person.

If Tiger Woods resumes his winning ways, he will eventually win back the support of the general public. He'll be hailed for his "comeback" and announcers will gradually phase out any mention of his off-course failings. And if and when that happens, I'll have mixed emotions. In some ways the forgiving nature of American sports culture is commendable that we are so willing to forgive our fallen heroes. In other ways it's rather sad that we tend to forget athletes' personal transgressions and return them to atop a false pedestal.

I realize that this post probably comes across as contradictory. I recognize the contradictions in my own thought. If Tiger Woods does start to win again, he'll probably be let off too easily. But I'll root for him nonetheless, contradictions be damned. Just for my own viewing pleasure.

2 comments:

  1. Good post, Tom. Didn't know that you look into golf, too. I love how you predispose of the potential dismissal against your post as being contradictory - well, I guess you never predisposed of it. Contradiction is your assertion here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual Dong, I appreciate the feedback and your English vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete